Describing a pregnancy using the word “twins” alone is not enough. The number of placentas that a twin pregnancy has is critical in determining the best way to safely care for the pregnancy. Close to 75% of all twins are fraternal, where each twin will always have its own placenta (dichorionic). The other 25% are identical twins, and among these, three out of four (75%) will share a single placenta (monochorionic). Perinatologist and twin expert, Dr. Larry Rand, discusses the importance of early diagnosis and frequent monitoring of monochorionic twin pregnancies in particular to ensure any potential complications are addressed.
Download supporting document: Monochorionic Twins Recommendations PDF brochure
This video is part of a series of presentations shared with parents after they have received a diagnosis concerning their twin pregnancy to explain the condition in as accurate, thoughtful and direct manner possible. These videos are designed to take the mystery out of the diagnosis for parents, their families and friends.
Refer to Fetal Treatment Center